Been a while, ain't it?
Welp, here's our usual, semi-bi-quarter-month-whatever kaijuriffic news update! DIGEST IT.
- BIG NEWS UPDATE - PACIFIC RIM, the new kaiju movie (yes, they call the monsters KAIJU) has finally gotten a proper, official synopsis! I'm honestly WAY more excited for this than I am the new Godzilla...since, y'know, this is actually happening.[link]
- Also, go check out GODZILLA VS. CTHULHU, by my fellow IDW G-artist,
- In the Houston area this weekend? Come on out to COMICPALOOZA! I'll be there with kaiju artist extraordinaire BOB EGGLETON! Come see me at TT-401!
- GODZILLA, the simply-named new ongoing from IDW, hits stores THIS WEEK (Wednesday, May 23rd). Covers by yours truly will begin with issue 2, and will be part of the main rotation until issue 5, when they will once again be retail incentive covers (or issue 6, I forget). Here's a peek at the new deliciousness:[link]
- Not only that, but another new mini-series, GODZILLA: HALF CENTURY WAR will be exploding your pants this August. Written and drawn by James Stokoe, it chronicles five separate decades of Godzilla-combat, following a small group of JSDF personnel and their recurring grudge matches against the King.
Check Stokoe's blog on the matter here (Mothra hippies and Antarctic-monster-rumble whispered!)[link]
- Even MORE kaiju comic news! A one-shot by Image Comics, ENORMOUS, will tell, in 64 pages, the struggle of humanity once the planet has, more or less, been taken over by new species of massive megafauna.[link]
- Shinji Higuchi, perhaps the current greatest SPFX master in Japan, is collaborating once more with Hideaki Anno (director of EVANGELION) and Studio Ghibli to create a (possible) huge ecological-themed film project set in the NAUSICAA universe.
Here's a quote from the AICN article (likely quoted from elsewhere) -
"From July 10 to October 8, Tokyo's Museum of Contemporary Art will be hosting "Hideaki Anno's Tokusatsu Museum," a look at miniatures, costumes, and tricks used in special effects shows and movies. Anno storyboard collaborator Shinji Higuchi will also be working with Studio Ghibli on the live-action short "God Warrior Attacks Tokyo," in which one of the giant beast living nuclear weapons that destroyed civilization in Nausicaä attacks the metropolis."
Also, here's a video:[link]
Also, here's the God Warrior:[link]
- In news that bears CONSTANT repeating, DINOSAURS VS. ALIENS is still scheduled for release...sometime soon. Go to your local comic shop to reserve it, or just preorder online.
- Also Gareth Edwards said some vague-but-positive-but-meaningless words about Godzilla 2014. Read if you like.[link]